Your Nav Bar Here

Friday, December 23, 2011

being broke on christmas

3/365: Nothing sucks more than being broke around Christmas.

I checked my bank account this morning to see what I could afford to get for my parents, grandparents, and little sister--because those are the only people I can even think of buying something for--and I was hit hard by the balance.

Literally, $0. In checking and savings. I thought maybe there was a mistake, but no--everything documented told me the same thing. I only had the $18 in cash to my name to spend on gifts. All things being considered, I knew that things would be tight this year, but had no idea how tight. I don't get paid until next Friday, I still have to get to work and currently only have a 1/4 tank of gas...and let's not talk about tolls or paying for parking.

Thankfully it's Christmas, so the flip side of this depressing situation is that I will probably get some sort of money. Hell, I'd be happy with $30 to my name because then at least I could use what's left of that $18 (I spent around $5 on cards) for gas and then use the $30 for tolls and parking.

With that being said, my resolutions for the new year obviously have something to do with saving money, because my current situation is not something I ever want to deal with again. Though I'm sure my family will appreciate the love that will be going into these cards, I wish I could do what I normally would which is buy them something nice...or at least make something.

Next year, a lot of things will be changing. Am I ready? Of course not. But I'm starting to plan now so that I can act accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment