Your Nav Bar Here

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

moment of silence


If there was one video that I wish I had made first, it would be this, Death of the Tragic, Scientifically Less Attractive, Unmarriable, Single Black Woman Narrative

Last year we were inundated with article upon article about black women and how we're never going to get married. Articles which begged the question, "is marriage for white people" among other things. To say that I was tired of it, quite the understatement, but I admit that it didn't stop me from reading the articles, rolling my eyes in exasperation. 

Now that we're in 2012, I can only hope that we will let this topic go and, as Ariana states in the video, focus on more pressing topics.

What else do you hope died with the end of 2011?

I can give you a couple things that I let die for myself personally. 
  • LACK OF ORGANIZATION: If I had one thing that I really needed to kill for myself, it was that. Talk about an easy way to get things straight for myself in the new year--it's significantly easier when you have a clear list of what you need to do in front of you as well as a list of the resources available to you. 
  • EXCESSIVE USE OF TWITTER: This one was hard for me to let go, but as I try to focus more on writing (at least more than 140 characters) and less on reality television and ratchetness, it's actually really easy to drop down on my Twitter usage…and I find that the things that I do choose to tweet are more pertinent to me.
  • A FEW BAD HABITS: None of which necessarily need to be put into writing, but it suffices to say that what I've cut out of my life (people included) were all things that were poison to me, if not physically, emotionally and mentally.


No comments:

Post a Comment