Your Nav Bar Here

Monday, January 2, 2012

reading is fundamental



13/365: If there is one thing that I wish I did more in the past few years, it's read. Though a few books have really caught my attention, when I compare how much I read in high school to how much I read now, there truly is no comparison. This became most apparent when someone asked me what my favorite books were or my favorite genres to read and it hit me that I hadn't read a book that I really liked recently.

So, what I plan to do is read more.

Plain and simple. Easy solution to a common problem. First up is a book that I grabbed from our household library based on the title alone: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. The book, according to Guardian is pretty darn spiffy, in their words:
"[The] characters step from the past radiant with eccentricity and kindly humour. [The] writing, with it's delicately offbeat, self-deprecating stylishness, is exquisitely turned."
Who can say no to that right? I mean, come on, tell me that reading that with an English accent doesn't totally make you want to read it. So far it's been pretty pleasant, a simple read consisting of letters addressed between various people. Hopefully it maintains because I'd hate for my first read to be so discouraging.

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain, finding reading time as an adult is hard. When you're younger you just have lots of time to do whatever you want. As an adult, there is ALWAYS something else you could be giving your attention to. You really have to schedule it into your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain too. There are so many good books, but just not enough time! I went to my bookshelf too and grabbed the first book that caught my attention. Granted, World War Z is not classic literature, but I figure it's a good start.

    On a side note, I love your style of writing. And thank you for the comment you left on my latest blog post, I thought it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sexless: It's terrible, but I'm trying to get back into it. What's even more difficult is finding something that actually stimulates me because it's useless to schedule time for a book that I'll hate reading. *cries in anguish* WHYYYYY?!

    @Gigi: A start is a start. This book has been pretty good so far, I have another book that I got as a gift so now I want to finish this one so I can move on to the next one. I'm so eager because the other book is by an author I've liked in the past.

    Thank you for the compliment on my writing style and thanks--I thought the blog post was awesome! lol :)

    ReplyDelete